This is the wording of a leaflet that has been put together for distribution by
SAVE YOUR FAIRGROUND CAR PARK!
Waverley Borough Council is planning to spend £350,000 on resurfacing the Wey Hill Fairground Car Park in preparation for PAY and DISPLAY meters. As the Fairground site is Common Land, WBC is obliged to apply to the Planning Inspectorate for consent to carry out these works (S.38 Commons Act 2006). WBC inherited the land free of charge from the old Haslemere District Council which ceased to exist in 1974 with local government reform.
You only have until Friday 5th April to object!
The most relevant criteria that the Planning Inspectorate will take into account include:
1. The displacement effect that charging will have on roads in the area.
2. The lack of local consultation by Waverley BC and the fact that those objections which were made were substantially ignored by WBC.
3. The negative social impact of the proposals on the community. Shops, the youth centre, the library, businesses and the church will all be badly affected. The local economy cannot withstand the impact of these proposals.
4. The works will mean that the travelling fair can no longer use the site as their equipment will damage the plastic mesh surface.
5. The recently established Neighbourhood Planning Forum has ideas for the site to allow much greater community use. These WBC proposals will seriously jeopardise those forward looking and exciting creative ideas for the area.
6. A Public Inquiry should be held to allow proper public participation in the debate. We do not accept WBC’s claim that they have consulted widely.
7. This urbanisation will destroy the open aspect of the Common forever.
PLEASE take time to help our town to prosper – and write to OBJECT now!
either by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by post at: Common Land Casework,
Rm 3/25B Hawk Wing, Temple Quay House
The Planning Inspectorate
2 The Square
BRISTOL BS1 6PN
However you make your objection, quote the CASE REFERENCE: COM 454