Dear Councillor Renshaw
I am a Hill Road resident and have read through the officers’ recommendations for parking proposals in Haslemere. I note a significant adverse parking, traffic and safety effect in Hill Road should you proceed with the recommendations in their current form.
My understanding is that there will be significant displacement of cars into Hill Road from other areas and there is a possibility that you would be offering residents’ permits to households who do not live in our road. I’m wondering if perhaps there was a Surrey County Council hope that tucked away in your report we would not notice the 6 words suggesting residents permits for other roads? Please see attached a summary that is being distributed to households in Hill Road.
I have personally met with 15 households in the road. Two residents and I aim to communicate with all the households by the end of the week. I will give you an early indication of the unanimous opposition to these proposals based on 15 households.
- Every household of the fifteen has stated that the town needs a multi-storey car park and this should happen before any parking measures are implemented.
- You have not consulted with one resident in Hill Road. No-one was aware of your proposal for Lower Street/Shepherds Hill residents ROPs in Hill Road.
- There are issues of our road being used as a rat run and this has been further exacerbated by your extension of a double yellow line in College Hill.
- We request full consultation before any changes are implemented. For us full consultation will mean no zebra crossing deals, meetings with minutes and agendas, no councillor misrepresentation. (I share with you that the legacy of your deal-making with other roads leaves us all feeling rather wary.)
- Each of the 15 households objects without exception to Surrey Council County imposing any Pay & Display in the town.
- Your recommendations move the problem into other roads, potentially creating more problems.
- Many households have a very serious concern that their objections are not cited in the officers’ report.
As a road we are in the process of making residents aware of a Hill Road residents’ association meeting next week where we will discuss these proposals. This residents’ association will include the Haslemere Preparatory School in our road.
After that meeting we will be providing you with our full response.
On a personal note, when I wrote to you on 24th January 2912 to say I thought your parking *consultation* was merely an exercise by Surrey County Council to raise revenues you replied saying I was incorrect and I would understand that was the case after the Haslemere Hall meeting on the same day. I e-mailed you again after that meeting and re-affirmed by position. You did not reply. I think it is dreadful to receive a response from an elected representative telling a resident she is incorrect. I thought Localism was about Listening.
On Monday, David Hodge – the Leader of Surrey County Council, called me to reassure me everything would be alright. I am sorry to say I just cannot see how it will be alright!
I have also shared this e-mail with the Haslemereparking.com forum of which I am a volunteer editor.
From: Áine Hall [mailto: removed]
Sent: 14 March 2012 11:45 AM
To: ‘Steve Renshaw’
Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; ‘David Hodge’; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Subject: Hill Road Residents, Haslemere – initial response